Thursday, July 06, 2006

Is it a bird?

- or O Henry!
Call me a cynic if you like, (and some do), but I get slightly suspicious when a footballer with a better sense of balance than Nijinsky goes flying through the air, arms outstretched like Superman, after the merest contact with a fallen defender. The latter would almost certainly have had sense enough to know that you don’t trip up world-famous strikers in the penalty box under the referee’s nose. Still, it won Henry’s team another penalty kick and spared us having to sit through extra time - and the less worse team won.
Portugal did make some contribution to football: the game has got people talking about the possibility of giving out red cards to divers, which can’t be all bad.
Pity though – I used to like Thierry Henry. As the DG and the bard truly said, ‘Lillies that fester smell far worse than weeds’.

Some over-funded PR manager thought it would be a good idea to have a big celebration in Trafalgar Square to remind the world that it is a year since London heard it would be hosting the Olympic Games in six years’ time. (Yawn. I guess we haven’t had much to celebrate recently.)
But perhaps a little insensitive in view of the fact that tomorrow, 7/7, is another anniversary - of the day when four suicide bombers killed 52 people on London Transport.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So it's France and Italy is it? Wow, I was thinking Italy would be long gone.
Now I'm hoping they win !

Tuscan Traveller said...

Pleading the Fifth, Ed - I want to go back to Villefranche some day!

Anonymous said...

Can't say I blame you.
But I don't think the Fifth applies here, so best be careful;)

Anonymous said...

Italy! Italy!
To celebrate I had Italian for dinner tonight;)

Tuscan Traveller said...

With a fine Chianti I trust?