Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Does my bomb look big in this?

Is this the latest thing in Halloween costumes?
Omar Khayam, 22, was nicked in London at the weekend wearing an imitation suicide bombing outfit. He was arrested, not for incitement to racial hatred - a new law passed for just this purpose - but for busting parole on an earlier drug-dealing sentence. The chairman of his mosque, with an unconscious pun, said: 'It has been blown out of proportion'.
But it was the guy's name that got me. Odd that a suicide bomber - even a phoney one - should have the same name as the poet who 900 years ago wrote:
Indeed the idols I have loved so long
Have done my credit in this world much wrong,
Have drowned my glory in a shallow cup
And sold my reputation for a song.

A rehearsal for a suicide bombing - what next?

No comments: